We will be using Google's Blogger to create our class blogs. Once you get to the main screen, you can either login (if you already have a GMAIL or Blogger account) or you can create a new account by selecting the, Create a Blog button. You do not have to have a GMAIL account to create a Blogger account, but you do need to supply a valid email address. You will be prompted to fill out the necessary information.
SO, let's start blogging!
- Go to Blogger.com
- Select the Get Started button, you'll now be prompted to create your Google account
- Now, Create a New Blog
- Add a Blog Title - this will appear at the top of your blog
- Add a Blog Address - blogger will check the availability for you - it may take a few atempts
- Fill out the account form as indicated but it's best not to enter your full name in the Display Name field.
- Choose a template. You can change the template at any time by selecting the Customize button.
- Post Option: Create and edit posts (dynamic content)
- Pages Option: Create and edit pages (static content)
- Comments Option: Easily view readers' comments
- Stats Option: See how many visitors you've had and where they're from
- Layout Option: Customize your blog by adding Gadgets. You'll use the features in this option often
- Template Option: Change the look and feel of your blog - personalize your space!
- Settings Option: You can control all other elements of your blog here.
- In Settings (Basic): Add/Edit a Title and Description for your Blog.
- In Settings (Format): Set the Time Zone to Eastern.
- In Settings - Comments: Who Can Comment - Anyone (includes Anonymous Users)
- In Settings - Comments: Set your comments option so that they are visible (in a new window) and include a time stamp.
- Enable Word Verification so that computers cannot auto-post comments to your blog
- In Template, go to Customize, on the Blogger Template Designer window, go to Adjust Widths, Entire Blog, Set Between 800 - 900 px. Set the Right Sidebar to about 300 - 350 px.
Let's Start Blogging!
Now that you've decided on the focus and direction of your blog, it's time for the fun stuff! By successfully completing Assignments 1 - 4, you'll have a blog that you can be proud of!
Have fun blogging!